Can you believe it? The emerald + ella store has been trading for 5 years this month. Wow, where has the time gone?!
It feels like the online world has changed dramatically over that time and I have learnt so so much. Growing up I never expected that I would be muddling my way through meta data and photoshop editing tools and learning about widgets, but there you go!
5 years ago, cupcake cases were our biggest seller and now it’s most definitely our handmade cake stands. You have good taste people!
It’s been an absolute pleasure ‘meeting’ all you lovely readers and customers over the past half-decade, and I hope there will be many more years left in the e+e offices (A.K.A. home).
To celebrate this milestone I am sharing a favourite recipe from the blog archives – cherry coke cupcakes – because, after all, who doesn’t need a little coca cola in their baking?
- 1 cup coca cola
- ½ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 80g butter, chopped
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- ½ teaspoon baking soda, sifted
- 12 fresh or glace cherries
- cherry buttercream
- ½ cup cherry conserve, warmed
- 1½ cups icing sugar, sifted
- 125g butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 180°C conventional/160°C fan-forced. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Combine coca cola, cocoa, butter and sugars in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until butter has melted and sugars have dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Whisk in the egg. Gently whisk in the flour and baking soda. Pour mixture into cases and bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cool on a wire rack. Top cupcakes with cherry buttercream and the fresh/glace cherries.
- To make the cherry buttercream – Strain the cherry conserve to remove any lumps and set aside to cool. Combine icing sugar and butter in an electric mixer and beat on low for a minute or two until combined. Beat on high for 10 minutes or until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the cooled cherry conserve and beat well to combine.
Fancy getting social?