Is this the month of brown food on the blog?! Sorry about that but I seem to have been doing a lot of bronzed baking recently. It’s all still jam-packed with flavour and nutrition though!
This super moist vege-based bread is perfect for little and big kids alike. It makes a great breakfast (cake is ok for breakfast isn’t it?!) or snack at any time.
It’s not overly sweet so if you have a sweet tooth, perhaps you might like to slather it with butter and jam. Or some soft ricotta and honey….. Actually that sounds like a great idea, I know what my morning tea will be now.
It also freezes beautifully, just individually wrap slices and pop them in an airtight container in the freezer. Then you can just grab a slice and go!
- 450g pumpkin, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup vegetable oil (I used sunflower)
- ½ cup coconut sugar (you could use brown sugar if you like)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups grated zucchini, squeezed of excess liquid (this is about 1 large zucchini)
- Place the pumpkin in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil. Cook for 25 minutes, until soft. Drain, return to the pan and mash.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (conventional). Grease and line a 25 x 9 (base) x 7cm loaf tin. This is quite a long loaf tin, if you have a shorter one you may need to increase the cooking time.
- Combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon in a large bowl. Whisk together the vegetable oil, sugar, egg and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add to the dry ingredients with the pumpkin and zucchini. Mix until just combined. Pour into prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes, until cooked through. Cool in the tin.
Fancy getting social?