People keep asking me what I was craving while pregnant and I’m not totally sure but I definitely had an increased appetite for sweets, particularly milkshakes. So when I went to a cafe the other day and they had a gingerbread milkshake on the menu, I was intrigued. Of course I had to order it and it was damn delicious!
Once I got home I figured I would give it a whirl myself and so this awesome spicy gingerbread syrup came about. I recommend it in milkshakes with chocolate or vanilla ice cream, but you can also try it in coffee, cocktails or poured over your favourite cake or dessert.
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Stir over high heat until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to the boil. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until syrupy. Set aside to cool.
- Store the syrup in the fridge for up to 1 month.
Fancy getting social?