This post is sponsored by Barbeques Galore.
So summer might be over but in a glorious city like Sydney, that doesn’t mean barbecuing is done for the year. In our house we throw food on the grill all year round and my poor husband has even been known to stand out in the rain, cooking under an umbrella at times. Lucky for me it was a sunshiney day over the weekend so I decided to play around with a char-grilled burger recipe.
Something you might not know about me is that I was a vegetarian for 15 years, even while working as a food editor at a well-known food magazine. And while I eat meat now thanks to some hypnotherapy (that’s a story for another day!), I do have a major soft spot for vego food like this yummy zucchini-wrapped haloumi burger. It’s lemony, smoky, salty and spicy. All delicious qualities in a meal I think. Try these burgers out on your vegetable-loving friends at your next party and they will thank you for it!
- 250g haloumi cheese, sliced into 4 thick pieces lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced with a peeler
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 capsicum, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4 soft wholemeal bread rolls, split
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 cup baby rocket leaves
- chipotle aioli
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle chilli in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Preheat the barbecue. Rub the haloumi with lemon rind. Wrap the haloumi in the zucchini slices, overlapping as required. Brush with olive oil. Set aside.
- Barbecue the capsicum and onion for 5 minutes, until browned. To make the capsicum flat, you can weigh it down with cans while cooking.
- Barbecue the haloumi for 2 minutes each side, turning carefully, until browned.
- Make the chipotle aioli by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl. Season to taste.
- Spread with buns with the avocado and aioli. Fill with the capsicum, onion, haloumi and rocket.
- You can make the aioli ahead of time, just cover and refrigerate until required.
If your barbecue is looking a little worse for wear or you are just looking to upgrade, the lovely people at Barbeques Galore can help you find exactly what you need. They have a great selection at awesome prices plus all the accessories you could need to make you look like a grill master.
Fancy getting social?