This coconutty brown rice pudding is laced with chai spices like cinnamon and cardamon. It’s warm, comforting and perfect for a cold autumn night.
The pudding is vegan and dairy free which is pretty awesome for such a creamy dessert. Or breakfast if you are so inclined…….. Plus it’s kind of healthy seeing as it’s brown rice right???
Try it with some seasonal fruit like stewed rhubarb or pears.
In this pic: Cream ribbed bowl from emerald + ella.
- 2 cups medium grain brown rice
- 4 cups (1 litre) water
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped (you can use 1 teaspoon vanilla extract instead)
- 400ml can coconut milk
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon plus extra for sprinkling
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamon
- Place the rice, water, vanilla bean and seeds in a large heavy-based saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes, until the rice is tender.
- Add 1¼ cups of the coconut milk, both sugars, ginger, cinnamon and cardamom. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Discard the vanilla bean. Divide between serving bowls. Drizzle with remaining coconut milk. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon.
Fancy getting social?