Okay so I got you in here with ‘salted caramel’ didn’t I? Well I’m glad you came because these date caramels (made by moi!) from recently released Australian Women’s Weekly cookbook – Eating Well – are not only delicious but they are also paleo, vegan, gluten-, dairy-, egg- and sugar-free!!!
So as well as this gem of a recipe I am also sharing some pretty pics from the book which is all about eating healthy all the time, so you will never have to diet again.
Raw Turkish Delight Bark
Earl Grey and Chocolate Cheesecake
Salted Date Caramels
- 2 cups (310g) fresh dates, pitted
- ¾ cup (150g) virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup (25g) cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, extra, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- ¼ cup (50g) coconut flour
- sea salt flakes, extra, for sprinkling
- Place dates in a medium bowl, cover with boiling water; stand for 10 minutes to soften. Drain dates; discard water.
- Meanwhile, melt oil in a small saucepan; combine oil and sifted cacao in a small bowl. Stand until thickened slightly.
- Process dates, extract, extra oil and salt until smooth. Transfer mixture to a small bowl, cover; freeze for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper. Place coconut flour in a small bowl. Using damp hands, roll tablespoonfuls of the date mixture into balls. Roll balls in coconut flour. Using a spoon, dip date balls into cacao coating, then place on tray. Sprinkle with extra salt. Freeze for 10 minutes or until set.
- Store and eat the caramels straight from the freezer.
Eating Well – $29.95
Photographer: James Moffatt
Stylist: Olivia Blackmore
Photochef: Angela Devlin
Available from all good booksellers and online at magshop.com.au
Fancy getting social?