Ok so maybe I am using the word ‘healthy’ quite loosely here but this deliciously fudgy chocolate cake is gluten, dairy and refined sugar free! It’s made extra moist with sweet potato mash, I know that sounds a bit crazy, but it works!
I apologise in advance for the not-so-flash photos but I wasn’t going to post the recipe originally and then all the mums at mothers group loved it so much that I had to take a snap of the last piece so I could share.
- 1 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 cup cocoa powder, sifted (preferably a good, Dutch one)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⅓ cups mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup honey (or agave syrup)
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (use dairy free ones if required)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (conventional). Grease and line a 19 x 8cm (base measurement) loaf tin with baking paper.
- Combine the almond meal, cocoa and baking soda in a large bowl. Whisk together the sweet potato, honey, eggs, peanut butter and vanilla in a another bowl. Add to the dry ingredients with ¼ cup chocolate chips and mix until combined.
- Spoon into prepared tin and smooth the top. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until the cake doesn't wobble in the middle. A skewer will still come out dirty as it is a very moist cake. Allow to cool in the tin.
Fancy getting social?