So recently I have been on the search for edible glitter for an upcoming post and geez louise it’s expensive!! All for some pretty sparkly sugar! So I was scouring Pinterest and came across a recipe for DIY glitter sugar. After a few tweaks I had what I was looking for, lovely homemade edible glitter which is super cheap, easy to make and you can customise the colours to suit.
- ¼ cup white sugar (the more granulated one, not caster sugar)
- a few drops - ½ teaspoon food colouring
- Preheat oven to 180°C (conventional). Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Place sugar in a bowl. Add a few drops of the colouring of your choice and mix well to combine. Keep adding colouring until the sugar is at your desired strength. The light pink glitter above had just a few drops of rose pink colouring whereas the darker pink one had ½ teaspoon.
- Spread sugar over prepared tray. Bake for 10 minutes, until dry. Allow to cool. Break up gently with a spoon.
- Use to decorate cupcakes, cookies and cakes.
- This glitter is obviously not as sparkly as the edible foil glitter you can buy but it's a great homemade alternative! And looks super cute to boot.
Fancy getting social?